One Piece is a popular manga and anime series created by Eiichiro Oda. It follows the adventures of Monkey D. Luffy, a young pirate who dreams of becoming the King of the Pirates and finding the legendary treasure One Piece. Along the way, he meets many friends and foes, some of whom are related to him by blood.
One of the most mysterious characters in One Piece is Monkey D. Dragon, Luffy’s father and the leader of the Revolutionary Army. The Revolutionary Army is a global organization that opposes the World Government and its corrupt system. Dragon is considered the most dangerous and wanted man in the world, but his bounty has never been revealed.
In this article, we will explore some fan theories about Dragon’s bounty, based on clues from the manga, anime, and fan theories online. We will also discuss his possible connection to Vegapunk, the genius scientist who works for the World Government.
How Bounties Work in One Piece
Before we dive into Dragon’s bounty, let us first understand how bounties work in One Piece. Bounties are rewards offered by the World Government or local authorities for the capture or death of criminals, pirates, or revolutionaries. They are usually displayed on wanted posters with the person’s name, picture, and bounty amount.
Bounties are not a direct measure of a person’s strength or power, but rather an indication of how much of a threat they are to the World Government or the public order. Factors that affect bounties include:
- The person’s actions and achievements, such as defeating powerful enemies, destroying important facilities, or causing chaos.
- The person’s affiliations and connections, such as being part of a notorious crew, having a famous family, or being allied with other enemies of the World Government.
- The person’s potential and influence, such as having a rare ability, possessing valuable information, or inspiring others to follow their cause.
Bounties can increase or decrease over time, depending on the person’s activities and the World Government’s evaluation. Some people may have higher or lower bounties than expected, due to various reasons such as misinformation, manipulation, or hidden agendas.
Dragon’s Bounty: The Highest in the World?
Dragon is widely regarded as the most wanted man in the world, due to his role as the leader of the Revolutionary Army. He has declared war on the World Government and its oppressive regime, and has successfully liberated many countries from its control. He is also feared for his mysterious power, which seems to involve controlling the weather.
However, despite his fame and infamy, his bounty has never been shown or mentioned in the series. This has led to many speculations and debates among fans about how high his bounty could be.
One popular fan theory is that Dragon’s bounty is over 6 billion berries (the currency in One Piece), making him the highest bounty holder in history. This theory is based on several assumptions and calculations:
|Gol D. Roger||The former Pirate King and Luffy’s idol||5,564,800,000 berries|
|Edward Newgate||Also known as Whitebeard, the former strongest man in the world and Luffy’s ally||5,046,000,000 berries|
|Kaidou||One of the old Four Emperors of the Sea and Luffy’s current enemy||4,611,100,000 berries|
|Charlotte Linlin||Another one of the old Four Emperors and Luffy’s former enemy||4,388,000,000 berries|
|Shanks||One of the Four Emperors and Luffy’s mentor||4,048,900,000 berries|
|Marshall D. Teach||Also known as Blackbeard, another one of the Four Emperors and Luffy’s rival||3,996,000,000 berries|
|Dracule Mihawk||The world’s greatest swordsman and a former Warlord of the Sea||3,590,000,000 berries|
|Buggy||A former member of Roger’s crew and a Warlord of the Sea. Currently one of the Four Emperors||3,189,000,000 berries|
|Monkey D. Luffy||Luffy himself, who is currently considered one of the Four Emperors||3,000,000,000 berries|
|Trafalgar D. Water Law||One of the Worst Generation and Luffy’s ally||3,000,000,000 berries|
|Eustass Kid||One of the Worst Generation and Luffy’s rival||3,000,000,000 berries|
Based on these figures, some fans argue that Dragon’s bounty must be at least higher than Roger’s bounty, since he is a bigger threat to the World Government than any pirate. They also point out that Dragon has been active for longer than most pirates, and has achieved more feats than them.
Some fans even suggest that Dragon’s bounty could be higher than all of the Four Emperors’ bounties combined, since he is directly challenging the World Government and its authority. They also note that Dragon has a legendary lineage, being the son of Garp (a famous marine hero) and the father of Luffy (the future Pirate King).
However, not everyone agrees with this theory. Some fans argue that Dragon’s bounty could be lower than expected, due to various reasons such as:
- The World Government may not want to reveal Dragon’s bounty, to avoid giving him more attention or recognition.
- The World Government may not have accurate information about Dragon’s activities, power, or whereabouts, making it hard to assess his threat level.
- The World Government may have other ways of dealing with Dragon, such as sending special forces or assassins, rather than relying on bounty hunters.
- The World Government may have a secret agreement or alliance with Dragon, for some unknown purpose or benefit.
Dragon’s Connection to Vegapunk: A Hidden Past?
Another fan theory that has recently gained traction is that Dragon has a connection to Vegapunk, the mysterious scientist who works for the World Government.
Vegapunk is the leading authority on Devil Fruits, artificial intelligence, and advanced technology. He is also responsible for creating the Pacifistas, the cyborg soldiers that resemble Kuma, one of Dragon’s former comrades.
This theory is based on the recent manga chapter of One Piece: chapter 1066, which claims that:
- The chapter title is “The Will of Ohara”.
- Dragon and Vegapunk were in Ohara after the World Government’s attack. They knew Clover, the head of the Ohara scholars.
- After the attack on Ohara, Dragon decided to form an army. A group of giants carried all of Ohara’s books to Elbaf, the island of the giants. That group was led by “someone with bandages all over the body”.
- At the end of the chapter, Luffy meets the real Vegapunk, who looks like Albert Einstein. Vegapunk says: “Dragon’s son! I know you’d come!!”
This chapter revealed a lot of information about Dragon and Vegapunk’s past and relationship:
- Dragon and Vegapunk knew each other in their youth, and shared a common interest in history and knowledge.
- Dragon and Vegapunk witnessed the destruction of Ohara, the island of scholars, by the World Government 22 years ago. Ohara was home to many archaeologists who studied the Poneglyphs, ancient stones that contain the true history of the world.
- Dragon saved some of Ohara’s books from the Buster Call by the World Government’s warships.
- Dragon and Vegapunk parted ways after the Ohara incident. Dragon became a revolutionary leader, while Vegapunk remained a government scientist.
Conclusion: A Mystery Waiting to be Solved
Dragon’s bounty and connection to Vegapunk are two of the most intriguing mysteries in One Piece. They have sparked many fan theories and discussions over the years, but they have not been officially revealed or explained yet.
However, as One Piece approaches its final arc, it is likely that these mysteries will be solved soon. Oda has promised to deliver an epic and satisfying conclusion to his masterpiece, and he has never disappointed his fans before.
We can only wait and see what surprises he has in store for us.